Become Inspired! Learn More About The Literacy Council
The issue of illiteracy is one that affects us all. In Frederick County, 1 in 10 or 17,000 adults are functionally illiterate and cannot read a newspaper or fill out a job application. Since 1963, the Literacy Council has been assisting both American and foreign-born adults in attaining basic reading, writing and English-speaking skills with our free, confidential, one-on-one tutoring services – resulting in lives of greater productivity and communities with a higher quality of life.
Learn about the work of the Literacy Council and how you can make a difference in the lives of fellow residents by watching our new video. We believe you’ll be surprised and moved by what you learn.
Interested in learning more about becoming a Literacy Council volunteer Tutor?
If so, you are invited to participate in a short no-obligation orientation session to get all the details. If you decide that you’d like to continue on the road to becoming a tutor, you will receive instructions for completing some on-line training which will be followed by 6 hours of in-person training. You may register for any orientation session and you can attend either the May or June in-person training session of your choice. An orientation session and completion of the online portion are prerequisites for the in-person training.
The Orientation sessions are scheduled as follows:
- Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 7:00 - 8:30 pm at our LCFC office, 110 E. Patrick St., Frederick
- Saturday, April 18, 2015, 2:00 - 3:30 pm at Middletown United Methodist Church, 7108 Fern Ct, Middletown
- Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 7:00 - 8:30 pm at our LCFC office, 110 E. Patrick St., Frederick
- Saturday, May 9, 2015, 10:30 am - 12:00 pm at Thurmont Regional Library, 76 East Moser Rd., Thurmont
The Tutor Training Workshops are scheduled as follows:
- Saturday, May 2, 2015, 8:45 am - 4:00 pm at Trinity Lutheran Church, 15 Randolph Ave., Hagerstown. (One Orientation session and completion of on-line training segments are prerequisites for this day of training.)
- Wednesday, June 3 and Wednesday, June 10, 6:00 - 9:00 pm at our LCFC office, 110 E. Patrick St., Frederick. (One Orientation session and completion of on-line training segments are prerequisites for these days of training – both days required.)
If you have any questions, please call our office at 301-600-2066 or send us an e-mail.
To register for an Orientation session and Tutor Training Workshop, please click here or use the Quick Link to the left to go to the online Volunteer Registration Form. You can also register by phone by calling the LCFC office.
We will also be scheduling training sessions in Frederick and Hagerstown in September and October, 2015, with dates and other details to be announced.
Please consider helping LCFC meet the continuing need for literacy training in our area by becoming a Certified LCFC Tutor. You'll be joining an elite group of dedicated volunteer tutors, like the graduates of our March, 2015 training, pictured here. Thank you!
Support LCFC when you shop
LCFC and Amazon - LCFC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for organizations to earn fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Whenever you connect to Amazon.com through the Search Box at the lower left on any of our pages, LCFC will receive a percentage of the sale. Any item placed in your shopping cart through this link and purchased during a 24-hour window will earn money for LCFC! Thank you!