Getting A Tutor
How to Get a Basic Reading tutor
- Call 301-600-2066 or stop by the Literacy Council office at 110 E. Patrick St. You will be asked to give your name, phone number and address.
- The Basic Coordinator will then call you to set up a time for you to come to the Literacy Council office to take a placement test. This meeting takes between 30 and 45 minutes.
- Then the Basic Coordinator will match you with a tutor when one is available. There is usually a waiting list of students, so it may take a month or more before you are matched with a tutor. Please be patient as it will be worth your time.
- Once the coordinator has matched you with a tutor, the tutor will call to set up your first meeting.
How to a Get an ESL Tutor
- Come into the Literacy Council Office at 110 E. Patrick Street to fill out a registration form and take a short placement test.
- You may bring a translator with you if necessary.
- The ESL Coordinator will then pair you with a tutor and the tutor will call you to arrange a meeting place and time. There is a waiting list so it may take up to two weeks for a tutor to call you.
- If it is impossible for you personally to come into the Literacy Council Office, call 301-600-2066 and your information will be taken over the telephone. However, it will still be necessary for you to come into the Literacy Council office to take the placement test. A tutor search will not be started until you take the placement test.
- It is necessary for you to have transportation to your meeting place.
How To Get Into A Conversation Class
- Conversation classes are available during the day and evening.
- Have the office staffer indicate on the form you fill out that you are interested in a conversation class.
- The ESL coordinator will decide, after reviewing your placement test and comments by the office staffer, whether or not you are ready for this type class.
- If you are and there is room, the tutor of the class will call you within two weeks.