Basic Literacy and ESL Tutors
The following are the requirements for tutors:
- Be able to meet with a student for 1-2 hours once or twice a week on a regular basis.
- Be able to make a one year commitment if possible. Some short-term assignments are available.
- Be fluent in English.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Have a desire to help others.
- Be patient and flexible.
- Be willing to provide monthly progress reports.
- No teaching or foreign language experience is necessary.
To become a tutor, register for a 2-day, 14-hour tutor-training workshop by one of the following methods:
- Register online from this website, click here
- Call our office at 301-600-2066
- Email: email@example.com
The following are the requirements for staffing the office:
- Be able to work a 3-hour shift from 10-1 or 1-4 Monday through Friday on a regular basis. This can be once a week, once every two weeks, or even once a month.
- Be able to handle phone calls, mail and e-mail, data entry, checking out books, student intake, and miscellaneous tasks assigned by officers.
Board of Directors
The Board has general direction over the affairs of the Council and is responsible for carrying out its policies. Directors must be nominated and elected.
The following are the requirements for service on the Board:
- Be able to attend 5 board meetings and one annual meeting each year.
- Be willing to work on committees and special projects.
There are many other tasks that can be done on an as-needed basis instead of a regular schedule. The following are things we need help with from time to time:
- Graphic Arts
- Public Speaking
- Website maintenance
- Computer maintenance and trouble shooting
- Grant Writing
- Data Entry
- Event Preparation